Some photographers prefer to photograph babies when they are under two weeks old, however I prefer to do their newborn photos when they are a little bit older! I tell my Mom’s that we can do them anywhere between three weeks and three months old! Of course, I will also tell you that ANY age is the perfect age to schedule a photo session for your baby!
I have a lot of reasons that I love to photograph older babies but here are my top five reasons.
1. They smile at Mom and Dad (and at me and my camera!). And you might even get some laughing, giggling and cooing from them!
2. They start to show their unique personality.
3. They are awake more often so we get to see their bright and beautiful eyes and they make eye contact. I really prefer to photograph a baby when they are awake!
But sometimes, they’ll still sleep and we can still get some of those sleepy photos!
4. When they are awake they are usually more content than a newborn baby and they do not need to eat as frequently as a brand new baby usually does..
5. (One of the reasons I find to be most important) Mom (and Dad) have had some time to rest since the birth, get longer stretches of sleep and are starting to get a more regular sleep and feeding schedule (hopefully!). This is especially true for a Mom that had a long or difficult labor or a cesarean delivery. I want Mom to have a chance to rest and recover! Also, if you are first time parents, this gives you a little more time to get used to holding and settling your baby!
Since I take a lifestyle approach to newborn photo sessions and I do not pose babies, it is not necessary for your baby to be tiny and new and super sleepy. If you were to hire a studio photographer that poses your newborn then you will want to schedule your session before they are two weeks old.
Hopefully, after you read reasons why I love photographing babies of all ages, you might consider scheduling a lifestyle newborn session!
Here are some blog posts from photo sessions with older babies!
I’d love to connect with you over on Instagram!
Do you have questions or concerns about a photo session?
Are you expecting a new baby this year?
Please get in touch to ask me anything or to book your session!
You can learn more about my newborn sessions here,
and go have a look at my newborn gallery!
~All images by Mary Beth Miller Photography ~
Mary Beth Miller Photography has over twelve years of experience and specializes in lifestyle newborn photography in Pittsburgh PA and many of the surrounding areas.