When you have to postpone your newborn photo session due to social distancing to avoid coronavirus:
I know there are a lot of Moms out there who are expecting a baby (or they recently had a new baby) and they’re feeling very disappointed right now. They may be disappointed because they had to cancel a baby shower, change their birth plans, can’t have Grandparents and other family and friends come visit their new baby, etc..
And all of this disappointment is added to all of the other hard and mixed emotions that we’re all feeling during these very uncertain times.
Unfortunately, all of these sessions for March, April and May (and possibly longer) have to be canceled or indefinitely rescheduled due to hospital policies, government orders, and most importantly, for the health of my clients and their family. (and mine) Legally and ethically, I can not photograph babies or families right now and as heartbreaking as that is for me, I know that my business and my services are currently an unessential luxury.
I know these moms, and many others around the country, wanted professional photos of their sweet baby while they were tiny and sleepy and brand new. However, if you follow me and my work, you will know that I am a fan of photographing babies of all ages!
I have a lot of reasons that I love to photograph older babies
and here are some of them…
- They smile at Mom and Dad (and at me and my camera!)
- They start to show their unique personality
- They are awake more so we get to see their bright and beautiful eyes and they make eye contact
- When they are awake they are usually more content than a newborn baby
- Mom and Dad have had some time to rest since the birth, get longer stretches of sleep and are starting to get a more regular sleep and feeding schedule (hopefully!)
- Older babies have usually discovered their toes, this always makes for fun and cute photos
- If they are around 6 months old they may be sitting up on their own!
- Babies of all ages are cute and precious and need to be photographed!
Here are some blog posts from photo sessions with older babies!
So although it can be very disappointing, know that this is all temporary and life will soon be back to the way it was. And although you may not have professional photos of your newborn baby, you can still get wonderful photos of your sweet baby before they are walking and before their first birthday!
And in a few days, I will have another blog post with helpful tips on how to photograph your own baby!
If you are one of the moms that are welcoming a baby during all of this, despite all of the disappointments and all of the things that may not be going as planned, I hope that you are able to enjoy the downtime. I hope that you are spending your days cuddling a new baby on your chest and napping all that you can (because we know baby is probably not sleeping at night).
However, you may have other little ones at home that need your attention all day, or your baby is extra fussy or having difficulty during feeding times, or your partner has to work and is not able to be there to help, or you’re feeling lonely and isolated and things may be really hard on you right now…I know this is not an easy time for most of us, and it can be much harder if you have a new baby.
I am thinking of you.
Here is a list of local resources that I hope that some of you can find helpful! These are offered by local business owners that can help you virtually!
I know there are many more services available out there and I will add more as I find them! Please reach out if you are in need of someone to talk to or to help you.
Breastfeeding Center of Pittsburgh continues to offer virtual lactation support. To make an appointment call 412-246-4726
MAYA is offering free online classes on pregnancy, birth, postpartum and parenting, one-on-one mentoring, and telehealth mental health counseling. https://www.facebook.com/themayaorganization
Virtual Prenatal and postpartum care
Virtual sessions for:
– Labor and delivery prep (esp. for pain management, preventing perineal tearing/prolapse)
– Exercising safely through pregnancy
– Returning to healthy/safe movement postpartum
– Pelvic floor solutions prenatally and postpartum
– Pain (anywhere in the body!)
Virtual postpartum doula services and babywearing services. www.wearyourlittleone.com
Perinatal therapist providing wellness & mental health support via telehealth through Forward Wellness. Available for brief consultations, birth/postpartum planning, and guided birth art sessions. www.cortneyseltman.com
Cloth Diapering Services and classes
Amethyst Midwitchery & Womancraft
Virtual consultations in various areas:
* Menstrual Cycles/Hormone Regulation
* Family Planning
* Queer/Gender-Diverse Health
* Well Care
* Sex & Sexuality Education
* Stress Management
• pain during pregnancy
• exercise during pregnancy & postpartum utilizing BIRTHFIT principles
• nutrition throughout pregnancy/postpartum
• birth preferences/birth planning consults
• awaken your core workshops for pregnancy/postpartum geared towards core and pelvic floor health 💚
Embody Physiotherapy and Wellness Telehealh and Classes are available. www.embody-pt.com
Back to roots birth services:
Virtual doula for pregnancy, labor and postpartum.
And I am always here to help or connect you with someone more qualified than me!
Just click my contact button and I will reply to you asap!
And if you want to hire me for professional photos when this all passes, I would be honored to work with and photograph you and your family.
~All images by Mary Beth Miller Photography ~
Mary Beth Miller Photography specializes in lifestyle and documentary family, newborn and Fresh 48 photography in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania and many of the surrounding areas. Mary Beth has over ten years of experience photographing families, newborns and babies in the North Hills, Wexford, Cranberry, Seven Fields, Mars, and Gibsonia areas. Her style is very relaxed and natural and your family session will feel like a stress-free Sunday afternoon with your family!